Tender bites of pear and juicy pieces of blackberry are irresistible with a streusel topping. Try local varieties of pear, if available, for a fresher, more robust flavor.Serves 8
For the filling:
- 6 firm to ripe pears, such as D’anjou, cut into bitesized pieces
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax (if not available, substitute 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour)
- 1 tablespoon sugar*
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup softened butter*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix topping ingredients in a small bowl, cutting the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse meal. Place in refrigerator.
- Mix pears, lemon juice, salt, flax, and sugar in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Spread evenly.
- Sprinkle blackberries evenly over pear mixture, followed by the streusel topping.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown on top and fragrant.
- Enjoy warm, topped with yogurt or ice cream if desired.
*Use vegan spread and organic sugar, which does not contain bone char, if you would like your pear streusel to be vegan.